I have always been a huge fan of jewelry. All the fake bling and dainty hipster rings make me feel bougie, cultured, and artsy in a weird type of way for someone that has literally never left this country. I know, right? It’s so embarrassing. I don’t even—whatever. Like dating apps, party clothes, and shitty rap music, jewelry has its own evolving trends to keep us from getting bored. This year’s trends include a couple of favorites from iconic decades (the 80s and 90s, obviously), and some I’d call avant garde, simply because I don’t know a nicer term to describe the cringeworthy pieces. Here are five of the biggest jewelry trends you’ll soon see everywhere.
1. Anklets - I couldn’t tell you the last time I wore one, but I do know my mother still sports hers every day. Call her ahead of her time, but honestly, I think we’re just running out of places to wear dainty pieces of jewelry. When warmer weather comes back around and we’re wearing shorter pants again, you’ll find yourself contemplating a simple chain with like, a faux diamond or pearl on it.
2. Asymmetrical Hoops - This year was the comeback of thick oversized hoop earrings, but 2018 will change things up a bit by making asymmetrical hoops a thing. It kind of looks like you lost an earring and were in a rush to grab any earring, so… you did just that. I guess if this is your thing, you’ll be happy to know Zara and every other chain retailer will carry their own versions.
3. Statement Earrings - First, there were statement necklaces, and now, there are statement earrings. These are already popping up on some of our fave celebs, and tbh, they’re kind of scary. I mean, they’re just so BIG, and like, out there. I feel as though my ear lobe would definitely rip if I ever attempted to wear a pair, but to each their own I suppose. The bigger (and longer) the better will be this year’s mantra.
4. Layered Necklaces - Chokers are sooo 2017, so for your new alternative, opt for a layered necklace. It features a short chain that should fit like a delicate choker, with two longer chains as an added bonus. You’ll find yourself collecting different styles covered in the most basic charms, don’t say I didn’t warn you.
5. Brass Pinky/Midi Rings - A rustic gold touch makes your outfit look like, so vintage. When midi rings aren’t enough for one hand, jewelry brands also offer tiny brass additions that look super cute on your pinky. However, if that sounds as ridiculous to you as it does to me, feel free to wear them as midi rings on any desired finger for a v trendy look.
By: Betch explains it all / January 4, 2018